Monday, November 24, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving is just around the corner and it is time to think about all the good things in our lives. I have a great life. Michael and I worked hard and bought a boat and are able to live on our sailboat and cruise around the Caribbean. We have found a great place to keep the boat out of Hurricanes that is inexpensive and a lovely country.
After 4 hurricane seasons in Guatemala we have made fast friends here. Many of them are not gringos. Marco, Mirna and Kathy are top of our list. Marco is the Dock Master here at Marios. Mirna is working in the office and tienda. She has a ready smile and a warm personality. Kathy regularly beats me at a local card game called, pairs. She too has a ready smile and a warm laugh. Marco always has time for the gringos. Making phone calls in Spanish and working to make your stay easier.
The list of employees here is not just a list of people who work at the marina, it is a list of friends. Carmen, Inez, Delmi, Miriam, Delmi, Nerdia, Soila, Fito, Julio, Jugo, Jose, Irma, Carmlina, Blanca, and Auralia. We have seen them get married, become parents and grandparents. We have comforted them in the loss of loved ones and eased them during sickness. We have laughed over miss-spoken words and hugged in happiness and sadness.
There are so many things that I am grateful for this year. I hope that I don’t forget anyone…
· My Dad’s successful surgery. I wasn’t ready to say Good-bye
· My brothers and sister… you guys are the best
· My Mom and her strength. Mom you are one S T A U N C H woman
· Michael…my faithful husband who puts up with me and cruising
· Cynthia for making me laugh and keeping me young
· Sarah, David, and Tina for being great kids of whom I am so proud
· Kelly and Michael, Jr. for broadening my life and making me a better parent
· The “British” contingent here at Mario’s who have broadened our eating habits, by introducing us to lamb.
· All the friends here in the cruising life that accept you for who you are and still like you
It may seem like a short list but really it isn’t. We have a roof over our head (though we are still looking for that leak), food on our table, money in the bank, clothes on our backs, wonderful family and friends. So when you add it all up we are wealthy beyond measure.
Here’s to your Thanksgiving…may you be as blessed as we!

No comments: