Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Real Food

 
Vegetables and Fruit.....

I like most vegetables.  Except for peas, lima beans, and okra (unless it is fried).  My kids like vegetables.  I really for the life of me can not remember a time when I used trickery to get a kid to eat a vegetable or a fruit.  I love fresh fruit.
It is a texture thing

Fry it and I will eat it


Apparently tricking your children, husband or acquaintances to eat vegetables has become a multi-million dollar business.  Watching TV commercials proves that out daily.

I once sat all night with peas in my mouth
V8 – fusion or Splash are fruit flavored vegetable juices, one way to get everyone to drink his or her daily requirement.  You can have Fusion or Splash and never touch are real fruit or vegetable.  But watch out as you drink a counter will appear over your head keeping track of your vegetable intake.







Mott’s Medley juices will do the same thing.  As Marcia Cross (actress from Desperate Housewives) the paid promoter will tell you.  “Sometimes you just can’t get your kids to eat their fruits and vegetables like they should.  It takes a little magic to get them to eat right.  Enter Mott’s Medley Juice, just the magic you need to get those kids to drink their daily requirement.


Mom and Dad may not be listening to all this commercial crap, but I bet the kids are listening.  The message that they are hearing is that REAL fruits and vegetables are BAD things.

When I started this blog I thought I was the only one concerned.  Thank God I am not!  There are plenty of mom’s wondering if all our kids are picky eaters.

I understand for some people it is a “texture thing”…trust me, that is me and peas and lima beans.  Oh, and slimy okra in soup or gumbo.

May-be we do a poor job of introducing fruit and vegetables to our babies?  May-be we are poor role models for our children.  If we aren’t eating fruit and vegetables then how can we expect them to eat healthy food?

 Most agree that Madison Ave. has hit on marketing to young children to get Moms and Dads to buy replacements for real food.

I agree with Cynthia on Daily Cyn. (This is not me or is it Cynthia)  Peel an orange, cut up a carrot, hand them an apple, share a bunch of grapes, or make a salad with them.  Kids involved in cooking tend to eat healthier.

Let’s get excited about real food.  Last but not least, can we please turn off the  TV?

No comments: