Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Heroes


Heroes are interesting people.  I am not talking about Sports figures or Hollywood elite.  We do sometimes get confused and think that they are heroes.  They are not.

Most heroes when asked about their heroic action will tell you that they were just doing their job, that there are others who did more, etc.

Recently while reading a wonderful book, Empire of the Summer Moon by S. C. Gwynne, I came across the name of Capt. Nicholas Nolan.  I became interested because of my genealogy research.

I still am not sure if I am related to Capt Nolan, but he has touched me.  He touched me so much that upon finding that he is buried close to where I am currently, I went to the cemetery and took photos of his headstone.  I spent close to 2 hours with the dead that morning.  Capt. Nolan is buried in the US National Cemetery in San Antonio, TX.  Not the National Cemetery located on Fort Sam Houston, though they have responsibility for the management of the Cemetery.

Nicholas M. Nolan
March 10, 1835(1835-03-10) – October 24, 1883(1883-10-24) (aged 48)

Major Nicholas M. Nolan, 3rd Cavalry, formerly of the 10th Cavalry
Place of birth
Place of death
Place of burial
Allegiance
Service/branch
Years of service
1852–1883
Rank
Battles/wars
  • 16 major campaigns (1861-1865)
  • Most if not all of the 166 related battles


As I walked among the headstones I was reminded of all the soldiers that gave their lives in the formation of this country, to keep this country free, and hopefully to bring freedom to others.

They lay next to each other, General and Private, wives, infants, friend and I am sure sometimes foe.  Their headstones give glimpses of lives.  Some have only dates of birth and death. Some have epithets worn by the rain, sun, and time.

Capt. Nolan’s reads: During the stirring event of a civil war and the hardship of the frontier Major Nolan’s character for honesty and honorable purpose remained untarnished.  He was one of the bravest of the young cav. Officers of the Army of the Potomac and was always at the front.

The phrase, always at the front, has made me think.  “To always be at the front”, you open yourself up for arrows, bullets, criticism, and praise.  It means that you are willing to cross the line and stand up for what you believe is right and just.  It means that you put others before yourself.

We have a new National Hero, Staff Sgt. Salvatore Giunta, Medal of Honor Recipient.  He was at the front.  He carried his fellow soldier on his back through bullets and being wounded himself.  He will tell you that the other soldiers there were just as heroic and that he was doing his job.

Staff Sgt. Salvatore Giunta, was at the front.
I salute you.

No comments: