Friday, April 8, 2011

The disconnected...connected People

Cynthia had an appointment with the Orthodontist. It is very modern.  All the office and every aspect is linked through a network.  They have you sign in on the computer which lets the techs know you are there for your appointment.  Only this morning they were in day two of switching to new software.  Every computer was in updating mode and the staff had to do things the old fashion way.  It was painful to watch.

It was interesting in the waiting room.  There were about 12 of us waiting.

As parents and patients arrived and took their seats each reached into a bag or pocket and brought out a cellphone or some other electronic device.  There was one mother, who actually had a paper magazine.  What a pariah!

So there we were all in the same room, no one talking to each other.  Some were texting, some playing games, some reading an ebook, and some surfing the web.


Cynthia and I play words with friends.  Even though we are in the same room we send our answers over the wi-fi.

With all the texting that goes on spelling and punctuation have suffered greatly.  Few touch type unless on a full keyboard.  Touch typing is a lost art.  Kids type with thumbs only and some are faster than "Mavis the Typing Tutorial."

All this new technology was suppose to bring us closer and connect us in ways never imagined.  I am not sure that it has accomplished its goal, or may-be it has.

I know it is great to use "face time" to watch the grand-kids while talking on the phone.  I love the games that keep me occupied for hours.  I think it is wonderful to take as many books with me as I want on an electronic device.  In fact, I have my books synced over 5 devices.  Over kill, but I always have something to read with me no matter what device I may have with me.

The sad thing is that when in a restaurant it breaks my heart to see couples on their phones and talking and not saying a word to each other.  They could do that home.

What I do know is that Dick Tracy would be amazed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These kinds of electronic material is the need of each and every person. And I can't leave without my cellphone.
Touch Typing Software