Thursday, June 9, 2011

Happy 80th Birthday!

I can't imagine being 80 years old.  I am looking at 60 in a couple of years and I don't feel a day over 55.

In Guam


My father is turning 80 this weekend.  It is a milestone.  You can't deny that fact.  He has seen a lot of changes over the years.  Computers, men in space and on the moon.  Cars have changed and so have planes.  World politics have changed, though I suspect in some ways they are much the same.

The Newly Weds
He has been faithfully married to the same woman for 58 years this August and they are more in love today then the day they spoke their vows.  They don't just love each other, they like each other and that my friends is rare indeed.

When I look at my Dad he is still just my Dad...able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, able to shape the lowly wire coat hanger into any tool for any occasion.  He is calm in crisis and decisive when decisions must be made. 
Not Much Has Changed

At the Helm
He has corrected me, stood by me, hugged me, cried with  me and laughed much with me.  His gait may-be a little slower these days, but he still keeps moving forward.  His mind is sharp and clear and he has just ordered his own iPad!  He volunteers several days at the Veteran's Hospital in Tucson and works for the Church and the Knights of Columbus.  Occasionally he "rests his eyes" while sitting in his recliner.
As a Young Father with the Brood

In Honduras
There are a thousand memories attached to my Dad.  There are a thousand things if not more that I am thankful for when I see or talk to my Dad.

There isn't much to say except that, "I love you Daddy and always will.  You are the best, thanks for everything."
Boat Rowing Skills

No comments: