Wednesday, July 6, 2011

HABOOB????

Being the water girl that I am I was unfamiliar with the term, Haboob.  It comes from Arabic for strong wind or phenomenon.  In other words, an intense sandstorm.

Phoenix looked like the movie set in The Mummy.  I was expecting Anubis to jump out of the dust.  It was eerie and beautiful at the same time.
Haboob
When ever we are driving in Arizona and I see the signs for Blowing Wind I get nervous.  I am terrified to get caught in a sand storm.  I am not terrified of 10 foot seas.   Go figure.

So last night it got windy in good ole Bullhead City.  We were out in the dark moving things from blowing down and around.  We were on a landlocked "Anchor Watch".  Everyone was up in the park.  The poor guy behind us was in the middle of putting up a metal shed yesterday.  It is gone, gone, gone.  We heard in tearing apart and that woke us up.  Yes, the RV was shaking and for a minute I thought it was a tornado.  No just your friendly Haboob.

We were lucky.  No damage and we are still in our site.  We have all our chairs.  So life is good.

1 comment:

Mangled said...

I enjoyed your haboob pictures and comments. I saw those blowing wind signs in AZ when I was a child in the 50-60s--wondered what that meant.
Am adding your blog to my favorites!
Mary Angel
Clanton, AL