Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas Light Leads Us...

I love Christmas Lights.  It seems that we all want our homes to be festive.  One by one we begin to banish the darkness with our little strings of lights.

I remember sailing at night with the velvet darkness all around the boat.  You could hear the waves slide along the side of the hull and if you were lucky there was phosphorescence in your wake.  Some nights there was a moon that played in the clouds and other times, cloudless nights where the stars were all you could see in the firmament. 

I always felt small sitting on the boat at night, steering her through the night.  When the weather was good it was for me, heaven on earth.  I always felt closest to nature and God at those times.  The nighttime displays filled me with wonder.

And so it is now as Christmas approaches.  I feel very small sitting here on the turning earth, circling the the sun.  I feel very small as we wonder through the neighborhoods as night falls and the lights begin to light our way.

I wonder how small and afraid Mary must have felt.  Engaged, pregnant, heading into the uncertainty that was her future.   She was obedient and placed her faith God.  Joseph too placed his faith in God and kept his promise to Mary and made a new promise to the child she was carrying.  They were obedient to Rome and headed out to be counted in the census.

That manger the night of his birth must have been an answer to their prayers.  I can't imagine being pregnant, riding on a donkey and then no friendly Hampton Inn on the horizon to welcome you for the night.  No electricity for lights in the manger, only the stars to light the way.

This Christmas I am reminded of how blessed I am.  Michael is cancer free, the children and grandchildren are doing well.  My siblings and parents are well.  We have a roof over our head, food on the table and money to by what we need.  We have electricity for heat and light.  We have good friends.


I am ready for the Light of the World.  May He banish the darkness from our hearts this Christmas and all through the year.