Sunday, November 27, 2011

Do You Take Your iPad to Church

It is the first Sunday of Advent and the first Sunday to use the new translation.  Besides stumbling over the word consubstantial during the Creed it really went pretty smoothly.  The priest really has the hardest part with the translation.

For the first time in a long time I had to follow along with a missal.  I am able to say most of the prayers by heart and can still answer in Latin if given some time to think about it.  It is like riding a bike.  Once you do it you can pick up a bike after many years and if your knees aren't bad you can ride.  But today I was forced to listen, to read, and most importantly to think about what it was that I was saying and listening to during the Mass.  It was good.  It was fresh again.  I liked that we began this new version at the beginning of the Liturgical Year.

My quandary is should I take my iPad or iPhone to Mass?  I have had the iMissal, iBreviary, and iRosary on both for awhile.  I recently downloaded Ignio.  I like having them with me and not having to carry around a book, though I must admit that there is nothing like a real Missal with lots of ribbons to help you keep your place.  You also should have plenty of Holy Cards stuffed in various places to mark passages.
ignio

iBreviary

iRosary



But I can't quite bring myself to carry my iPad into Church.  It would have been very useful this morning as it contains the new translation.  I suppose if I turn off the volume and all the notifications for my games it would be okay.  Some might stare at me or wonder what I am doing, but God would know.

I wonder what Jesus would do?   Would he have used an iPad?  I can see him walking in Galilee texting Paul or John about a new commandment or his latest version of the Our Father.   Would he have "mirrored" on to a large screen the Sermon on the Mount?  He could have set reminders every hour to keep the Apostles awake while he was in the Garden of Gethsemane.

Not sure what I will do yet.  For now I have my handy pew card to remind me of what to say.

2 comments:

Ranting Sailor said...

I some how don't think he would mind if we played words with friends as long as we kept the the 4 letter words out of play.

MCW said...

Love your post, SV! I had a very strict Catholic upbringing and just pictured the faces of some of my past parish priests had they seen us entering mass with an iPad or iPhone! This gave me a really good laugh, thank you!