Friday, November 11, 2011

It Is Veteran's Day

I grew up in the US Air Force.  My father wore the SAC "Pocket Rocket" on his uniform.  Later he was part of the 18th Fighter Interceptor Squadron.  For me he was the man with the keys and the handsome guy in the blue uniform.

He worked two jobs so that I could go the Parochial School and I am sure to help with the bills of a growing family.  He served with Pride and is a Viet Nam Vet.

I joined the US Army and served with Pride Stateside and Abroad.  My current husband is a Viet Nam Veteran.  He also served with Pride.

I can claim Ancestors from the American Revolution, The Civil War, The War of 1812, and the Spanish American War.  I currently have family serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

We are a family of Military.

For me Veteran's Day is not a day for furniture sales or picnics.  It is a day to remember those that have given their lives so that all of us can be Free.  Free to download from iTunes, shop at the grocery store, drive my car from one end of the country to the other, or to watch Reality TV.  We are free to disagree with our elected officials and free to worship as we see fit.

We are not free to forget.  We must remember that today and tomorrow and for many tomorrows to come that some, mother, father, sister, brother, wife, or partner will receive news that a soldier, sailor, or marine will not be coming home.  They gave their life for our Freedom.

The following are the Mottos of our Armed Services:

US Air Force: Intergrity First, Service Before Self, Excellence In All We Do.
US Coast Guard: Semper Paratus - Always Ready
US Marine Corps: Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful
US Navy: Honor, Courage, Commitment 
US Army: This We Will Defend

High Ideals indeed.  If you see a Vet shake their hand and say thank you.  If you know the family of a Vet let them know that you care about their sacrifice also.

Make sure that we keep our promises to our Veterans and their families.  They kept theirs.

No comments: