Wednesday, January 19, 2011

And We Fly...


Airports used to be fun.  Not so much anymore.  You can’t wait with someone and then watch them taxi away.  You can’t wait at the gate and greet them anymore.  You have to wait in the baggage claim area.  Just not as enchanting.
Now we go through Security a couple of times.   We get our carry on searched, our checked bags x-rayed and we get scanned, wanded, patted down, etc.
These boots were made for walking

And that's just what they'll do...




I know that I love going into Security where it smells like a High School Gym locker room.  There is nothing like the smell of multiple pairs of sweaty feet.  Because we all have to take off our shoes I try to wear something that I can slip in and out of with minimal fuss.  So, I have trouble with all the people in shoes that have to be tied, the boots that go up to your knee and either zip, lace or a combination of closures.  One person I saw on my last trip had to have help pulling her boots off!   That really helped to keep the line moving.
Boarding the plane.  The carrier that I use has Zones. Why??? I am not sure.  It is always a mad dash to hurry up and wait.  Zones mean nothing.  Why isn’t someone enforcing the rules?  If they call zone 1 and your ticket reads zone 4 you should not be at the front of the line.
I wonder why the airlines even bother having the dimensions of bags for carry-on bags.  Nobody uses them and certainly most airlines don’t enforce their rules.  Why is it that people who sit in the back of the plane use the overhead bins in the front of the plane?  I don’t know about you, but I like my stuff where I can keep track of it.  So now that someone has used my overhead bin, I have to search and take someone else’s bin.  I especially like it when the airline staff takes the carry-on luggage from someone in the front and has to put it in a bin in the back of the plane.  And why doesn’t the person in the back bring it up to you?  They are the ones that used your overhead bin in the first place.
Ultimately, I am like a hermit crab.  I search for an empty shell that can be my home and when it becomes too small for my belongings, I search for a larger shell.  I like my stuff with me.  I wonder will it fit in the crematorium.

No comments: