Thursday, February 17, 2011

Stop Blaming McDonalds

I just finished reading the study done by  New York University.  The article states that just because we put calorie count labels on fast food, McDonald's in particular that kids don't pay attention to them.  It is not until the end of the article that they answered my first question.  Where are the parents?  Apparently they are right there buying the Happy Meals.

I am NOT fat.  I AM OBESE!  That is what my scales say and that is what my doctor tells me.  Because of that fact I am increasing my risk for High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Cancer, Cardiovascular Disease, and Stroke.  All of the above mentioned health issues run in my family.

I wish I could blame McDonald's.  I can't.  I don't eat there.  I am not a snacker.  I cook most of our meals and watch what we eat and what goes into the meals.

Genetically I am at risk.  However, the real issue is that I drink!  Lots of empty calories in those beers and that wine.  I have friends that drink more or as much as I do.  Some of them don't eat.  I can't or won't give up food.  I love it too much.  I should cut down on the alcohol.

Not only do I drink, I don't get up off my ass enough!

So there is no one to blame but me.  The government can put all the labels on food that they want.  They can tell me how bad alcohol can be and how good exercise can be.  Nothing will change, until I change.

The ball is in my court now!

1 comment:

Sandra Wilkes said...

Well you are right. I admire you for admitting it. Most don't. And I hope you get inspired to make the changes for your health. I know it is hard. My DH does the same thing.