Sunday, February 3, 2008

Laundry, Laundry, Laundry




I hate doing laundry. I didn't even like doing laundry when I had a house with my own washer and dryer.


So imagine what it must be like to have to take it down to the river and beat it on rocks! Of course when done in the river laundry is a social event. You wash the clothes and the kids. Kind of a Two For One Deal.


In the cities you still find the laundry court near the plaza. Here women gathered and did the laundry together. Again it was a social event.


At the marina we have washers and dryers and for only $2 US. It can be a a social event of sorts. Or if you want you can have the girls do it for $4 US. Of course when my mom visits she does my laundry, for which I will be forever greatful.

When out on the hook the laundry is put in a bag, then in the dinghy, and then we carry it to some local village women who for around $10 US will do the laundry. Which you now put in a dry bag in the dinghy and take it back to the boat.

Laundry...can't live with it, can't live without it. Laundry is a fact of life. So perhaps the answer is to Sail Naked!

No comments: