Monday, October 6, 2008

Assumptions, Assumptions...

There is a line in the movie, “The Big Chill” where one of the characters asks about rationalizations. “You try and get through the day without a rationalization.”

So my question to you is…”Can you get through the day without an assumption?”

Interesting things are always happening at the marina. Some people follow the “rules” or “guidelines” use what ever floats your boat. The reality is that there are RULES. Some rules are unspoken, some are written. Without rules we are like the ‘Lord of the Flies”. We like to believe that we are living some idyllic life or that we are on permanent vacation being cruisers. To my way of thinking we are not on vacation. We live on our boat 24-7-365. We do not have a condo, a home, an RV or any other abode to which we live part of the year. This boat is our home. During hurricane season we live in a marina. During the cruising season we are chomping at the bit to get out to the salt water.

So, you may be asking yourself what is the assumption? Last year I was the Activities Director for the marina. I was an employee. At the end of the hurricane season I told the owner that I no longer wanted that much responsibility. I was retired. Besides the fact that he really could not afford me. Here is the ASSUMPTION…I have so much influence that the owner does what I want. I wish. Now I am not naïve enough to think that I do not have some influence, but I can assure you that the owner of this marina has enough backbone to do what is right. I can also assure you that the two of us do NOT always agree. When we do not agree I am not afraid to tell him and visa versa.

So when a boat is asked to leave because they are not following the provisions of their lease I find it interesting that the owner of the boat came to me and my husband and asked us if because of our/my influence on the owner were the reason that he was asked to leave. My answer to him were that we/I was not the reason, though; we supported the individuals that did complain about the constant work on the boat and that it was against the “rules” or “provision” of the lease.

His assumption was that my influence was the reason that he was asked to leave. My assumption…he told others in the marina about his assumption and that is the reason that I/we are getting the cold shoulder. Either way it doesn’t matter. They have their assumptions and we have ours.

But, remember this…”When you assume things you make an ass of u and me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This story sucks.
It is due to misunderstanding yes.
But why were workers on the boat next to this boat working, and making noise and smell and not aproached? There was work done there for more than a week.
There is more behind this story, and this you have to find out for youself Cindey.
Open your eyes look and see, what is going on. If we can see it, so should you!.