Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Kindle Answer for books


Living on a boat is a constant battle for space. When three avid readers live on a 38' sailboat the amount of books on board is incredible. We try to read the same things, but that doesn't always work.

Because good books are hard to find we tend to hog books if we see one that we think we may want to read. Each of us has our storage areas and they are full. If Michael finishes a book and either Cynthia or I want to read it later it moves to our space. Sometimes the boat lists to the starboard or the port depending on who is the slower reader.

Amazon has an e-reader device called the Kindle. The Kindle can hold up to 1,000 books. Plus Amazon keeps a copy for you so if your Kindle gets full you can remove a book and download a new book. You can change the size of the font and it includes a dictionary. It is for use only in the USA and uses the Whispernet for downloading. After a lot of wishing and hoping someone here on the river found that you could download the books to your computer and transfer the books to your Kindle.

After months of agonizing about would it really work a fellow boater brought one down. Low and behold it worked like a charm.

I am happy to say the I am now the proud owner of a Kindle and have started to download my books. Problem is I really should finishing reading the stack of books on my side of the boat before I start new ones on the Kindle. Okay just as soon as I finish the new Kindle book I just started. Really....I promise.

No comments: