Sunday, November 8, 2009

London Bridge is Falling Down, Falling Down, Falling Down....

As a little girl that phrase about London Bridge was part of a favorite game.  Not sure I remember all the specifics, but the tune is as fresh in my head as it was oh so many years ago.

I recall all the hubbub when Lake Havasu City won the bid for the London Bridge.  Pretty cool I thought.  Dismantle the bridge and rebuild it stone by stone.  Good idea.  So this summer we were going to be driving right through Lake Havasu City.  Let's stop and see the London Bridge.


Some of you will be shocked to learn that Michael and I approach things differently.  Driving into LHC I was looking for a sign that would direct us to the famed bridge.  Surely something as magnificent as the London Bridge would have a sign with directions.  Well before we came to the sign we came to a rode called London Bridge Road.  Michael wants to take it and I want to wait for the sign.  For the sake of marital harmony I took the blasted road that wandered along the shore line, through the trailer parks, the industrial area and still no sign of the blasted bridge!  Now we are in the middle of town.  I am not very happy and still looking for the bridge.  Perhaps it is close to the London Bridge Resort.  Back and forth, up and down, hither and thither I drove the streets of LHC.  Finally in exasperation I shouted, "Where the Hell is the Bridge?"  My dear husband replied," you have driven across it at least 4 times!"  (Yes you are getting the sanitized version.)

So I found a parking lot just below the bridge.  Michael grabs his camera and says, "Aren't you coming?"  "NO!"  I couldn't believe that this plain old bridge with some flags on it was THE BRIDGE!  I should have known it wasn't going to be that impressive.  When I asked my sister about it and her reply was..."Well, when you think about them taking it apart stone by stone and putting it back together..."  Being the stubborn woman I am I let HIM take all the pictures as I waited thumbs drumming on the steeringwheel looking for the closest breakfast place.

I am not sure what I was expecting in the bridge, but more than what I got.  When I tell my U.K. friends about it they all laugh and say, "You thought it was the Tower Bridge."  Actually, no.  I don't know what the Tower Bridge looks like either.  But I wanted, I guess the London Bridge of my childhood fantasy.  Instead I got the real London Bridge. Recognized I might add at first glimpse by all my U.K. friends.

Enjoy Michael's photos.



No comments: