Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I Hear You Knocking...

Earl, the hurricane is moving in the Atlantic Basin in his "cone of uncertainty".

Earl is a big boy that currently is a Cat 4.  All this is on the heels of the 5th Anniversary of hurricane Katrina.  What I find fascinating is the news reports that, "People aren't boarding up their houses or moving to higher ground.  Of course it has been a long time since a major hurricane has passed over the BVI's."

May-be the problem is me.  I may not remember the last time a hurricane passed over the BVI's, but I think based on what I have seen I would have; prepared my home, secured food and supplies, and if possible gotten my butt out of the "cone of uncertainty".  Human beings are incredible.  We have short-term memory issues and some of us think that we are invincible.

As I was watching the reports commemorating Hurricane Katrina and listening to reporters I was struck again at our ability to think..."it won't happen to me".  People standing on the roofs of their homes with signs that read, Help Us, Save Us.  Didn't we ask them to evacuate?  Didn't they stay?

Remember, hurricanes like wibbles wobble.  One wobble and now it is heading right for you.  If you are in the "cone of uncertainty"  get ready, have a plan, be able to execute your plan.  I don't want to see any of my friends on the East Coast standing on their roofs with signs that read: Help Me, Save Me.


Be careful out there it is a crazy world.

No comments: