Sunday, August 22, 2010

Life in the States


It has been in the triple digit temps since I arrived in Arizona.  There must be some humidity because the locals are complaining.  I will try never to say, “It’s a dry heat” again.  The a/c runs constantly in the afternoon.

By five pm it is usually down to 100 in the shade and that’s where I have my Happy Hour.  I must get outside sometime. 

As I sit outside the door and gaze at the Santa Catalina Mountains I watch the dove come out of their cacti homes and fly around the campground.  During the week it is a constant flow of cars, trucks, SUV’s, crossovers, and motorcycles leaving the Base headed home.

You can go grocery shopping anytime of the day or any day of the week.  It wears me out.  There are so many choices for everything.  The cereal isle can bring me to tears.  So I have simplified that isle…Cheerios.  Yes, basic old fashioned Cheerios.  And based on the study I read on Yahoo (that font of knowledge) Cheerios are actually good for you and will help you lose weight.

The meat counter leaves me speechless.  First off I go into shock at the prices.   Then I look at the cuts of meat.  I miss the launcha from Casa Guatemala that comes to the marina twice a week and has pork, chicken, yogurt, cheese, butter and occasionally crab or lobster.  They even do special orders!

The other problem is that I just plain buy too much stuff when I am shopping in the US.  The fridge in the RV isn’t that big and if you want a 6 pack of beer, a ½ gallon of milk and a bottle of chilled white wine then you are asking a lot of it.  Of course it doesn’t help that everything is SUPER-SIZED!


 I find that I can’t get enough green salad and real tomatoes and lunchmeat.  Chicken, turkey, smoked, roasted, deli sliced, shaved and pastrami, roast beef…you name it you can have it.  You can have it in over abundance.  I haven’t even talked about ice cream.  Cynthia and I try and walk by without making eye contact with the Blue Bell, Blue Bunny, Ben & Jerry’s or the other brands that are like sirens at sea calling sailors to their deaths. Vanilla, Rocky Road, Mint Chocolate Chip, Moose Tracks, Bunny Tracks, Banana Split, etc.  Don’t’ forget the frozen yogurt and sherbet!

Sushi at every grocery store made daily.  They are right next to the bakery.  Who knew there were so many kinds of bread, long, short, round, loaf, white, whole wheat, whole grain, sliced, unsliced, rustic, peasant, French, and double fiber.

I am still figuring out where to put stuff.  The fall back position usually ends up being the driver and passenger seats up front.  We can’t use them while we are parked so they might as well store stuff.

I do like the Dish TV.  Please don’t tell Michael.  I like that I can tape a show and watch it when I want.  I especially like fast forwarding through the commercials and the political ads.

Life is simpler on the boat in Guatemala, but I don’t miss the five-hour bus ride to the city.  I love getting into my car and driving 15 minutes to get…beer, wine, lunchmeat, cereal, and potatoes.  Oh, you get the idea.  It is the land of plenty.

No comments: