Thursday, August 14, 2008

I want to write about Happier things

Sorry to say that the river has not calmed down.  More boats were boarded, no one was hurt.  Things were taken.  They were anchored in a bad part of the river that the cruising guides warn you not to over night near.  Outboards were stolen from some locals and that raises eyebrows.

Everyone is a little hypervigelent which is a good thing.

The National Police came today by the boat and pickup truck load to search the village of La Esmeralda.  This is were most of the workers in the marina live.  This is were I worked for two years at the health clinic.  I know most of the people there.  I have birthed their babies, cleaned and stitched their wounds, helped their dying and helped bury a few.
It has made me think about my friend in the States who's son was involved in a robbery in which a murder was commited.  I don't know if he actually pulled the trigger it doesn't matter.  He has a life sentence.  So does his family.  It is hard to ask about him and how he is.  Part of me is embarressed for her and part of me is embarressed for me because I don't know how to ask her.  I know her heart is broken over and over because her son the child she carried in her body and gave birth to walked away from all she had tried to teach him.  Even after what he has done...he is her son, her child, her little boy.  He is also a convicted felon.

I want justice served.  However I don't want us to forget that it is the innocent on both sides of the crime that suffer.  For every criminal there is a father, mother, brother, sister, and friends who are hurt by the crime.

I heard today that Nancy is flying with the body of her husband, Dan to Guatemala City for cremation.  She is healing physically.  From what I was told  she and the family are planning on SAILING the boat.  That feels right.  I am also sure that Dan will be with them in spirit as they continue the dream.  Fair Winds and Following Seas  you deserve nothing less.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you please tell me the name of the cruising guide that warns cruisers not to anchor where we did?

Mark